Engagement Attributes are an example of a Live Assist Data Source. Data Sources enable Administrators to collect information from multiple sources. This information can then be used to customize the visitor experience and design engagements to get the best business results.
Accessing Data Sources
To access the Live Assist Data Sources page, navigate to the Campaigns area, then scroll to the bottom of your screen and click on the Data Sources link.
There are different categories for data sources:
- Engagement Attributes
- Other sources
In this article, we will focus our attention on Engagement Attributes.
Engagement Attributes allow you to extract more detailed information from your webpages and continue to track it, ensuring that you don’t miss opportunities to engage with your high-value visitors. In Live Assist, basic visitor information is already displayed out-of-the-box. Engagement Attributes allow you to dig deeper into your available customer information to discover their needs.
- eCommerce Info: These attributes allow you to track the eCommerce activities of your visitors.
- Cart Update: Use the Cart Update attributes to get the status of the visitor’s shopping cart before they make a purchase. The status includes the products within the cart, and its total monetary value.
- Transaction: The details of any exchange of money for goods or services, including the products themselves and their details.
- Viewed Product: Use viewed product attributes to learn more about products that interest your visitor. Discover which products were viewed, their name, category, price, and SKU.
- Visitor Information: Retrieve specific details about your website visitors, for example, the channel they arrived from and the affiliate they are associated with.
- Customer info: Collect data about your registered visitors: Customer type and lifecycle status.
- Marketing source: Get more details about the marketing source of your visitors. See which channel or campaign brought visitors to your site and identify which affiliates they are associated with.
- Personal info: Collect personal information about visitors. You can pass login information from cookies or from questions you ask in your forms.
- Visitor journey: Collect details about key actions that visitors take along their journey, and customize their experience accordingly. This includes the leads they generated, errors they experience, and more.
- Lead: Use this information to report on the estimated value of your leads.
- Service activity: Use this information to measure service activities and success.
- Visitor error: Receive information about errors that visitors experience when they browse the site and fill out forms.
- Section: Use sections to determine the appropriate location for engaging with visitors, or to display where those visitors are browsing.
Extracting Data with No Coding
Live Assist can extract information about certain attributes that exist on your webpages, such as cart total, marketing channel source, transaction order ID, and lead details. We call these Engagement Attributes, and they can be used to improve customer satisfaction, to customize your engagement experience, and to generate reports.
To Extract Data with no coding:
- Decide which attributes you want to extract.
- Access the Engagement Attributes through Data Sources.
- Map the relevant attribute and its properties according to how you want to extract the data. Do this by copying the identifier into the field.
- Click Save. You’ll see a success message validating your configuration.
Repeat these steps for each attribute you want to configure and extract. Once you have configured your website for an attribute, Live Assist will search for it in every page of your website and extract it.
- Live Assist will “trim” any non-numeric characters such as dollar signs for properties that represent numbers, for example, “total”.
- Make sure that the identifier class name or ID is unique. Live Assist will look for your identifier on all of your pages.
Embedding Engagement Attribute Code
Live Assist out-of-the-box functionality provides you with relevant, yet basic information about your visitors, such as the geolocation that the visitor is browsing from, time on page, pages viewed, and more. Use Engagement Attributes to collect even more data, for example, transactions, customer information and shopping cart updates, in order to tailor the visitor experience.
To Embed Engagement Attribute Code:
- Insert the Engagement Attribute declaration in a script tag, either at the end of the Live Assist tag script, or in a separate script tag just afterwards.
- Insert the push function below the declaration and add the type of engagement attribute, such as “cart” (see additional example below).
- The push method expects a JSON format.
- The JSON structure is unique to each Engagement Attribute. The appropriate format for each Engagement Attribute can be found in the Data Sources page.
3. Validate the code by going to the visitor page and simulating the visitor actions that trigger an event.
- The ‘type’ property is mandatory and tells us which engagement attribute you are using. Other attributes are optional.
- When Live Assist gets a list, the system never calculates totals or numbers of items. Live Assist relies on the event to send that information.
Validating the Engagement Attributes values
The implementation of the Engagement Attributes values can be verified via the Live Assist interface (after an hour), or directly from your website.
Validation via Live Assist interface
Verify that the data indicator for the "shopping cart update" is green:
Validation directly from the website
1. Add an item to the cart on your site.
2. Using Firefox or Chrome, open the dev tools (press F12) and type: lpTag.sdes.get('cart');
3. Verify that the values are correct.