Dos and Don'ts
The recommendations in this article are for 2 separate aspects of Live Assist:
Installing Live Assist
Important: Live Assist must not be installed using the Applications tab in the Dynamics 365 Administration Center.
There is a best practices article for how to install Live Assist correctly here .
1. Don't try to install via the Dynamics 365 Administration Center solutions page as this will only install the underlying package and not configure the system correctly.
If you do this by mistake delete the solution from the "Dynamics365 -> settings -> solutions" page and contact firstname.lastname@example.org as remedial work will need to be done to rectify the situation.
In future versions of Dynamics 365 Live Assist install from the solutions page will be disabled.
2. Don't install a 2nd version of Live Assist from the Applications tab in the Dynamics 365 Administration Center.
Sometimes a 2nd version may appear in the Applications list if you have got an additional version of Live Assist from App Source. Installing both will causes problems so please just ignore one of the applications.
3. Don't install Live Assist without using the default email attachment file size If you have previously reduced the file size the live assist provisioning may fail so please ensure the file size is at least the default value 5120. You can again reduce this once the installation has fully completed.
Go to Settings -> Administration -> System Settings ->Email -> file size for attachments
If lower than 5120 please put the value at 5120, which is the default value.
Dynamics 365 admin changes that break Live Assist
The Live Assist Application and Dynamics 365 Organization life cycles are not fully integrated with each other. The following Dynamics 365 Organization changes will currently break Live Assist and may require a re-install.
- Recreate your Dynamics instance and then reinstall Live Assist. Instead you need to contact Support prior to Live Assist reinstall to clean the environment for the reinstall.
- Delete the Live Assist solutions as you won't be able to reinstall without remedial help from the support team at email@example.com.
- Restore the Dynamics instance to a point before Live Assist was installed and try to reinstall Live Assist. Again you will need remedial help from the support team.
- Rename your organization after installing Live Assist. If you do this Live Assist will not pick up the name change and will continue to use the original name within the Live Assist Admin portal (which could become confusing)
- Change your organization's URL. Changes to you Dynamics 365 URL will break Live Assist and will require a re-install.
- We have also seen issues when Live Assist is installed on a sandbox org which is then promoted to production. The problem is due to the URL and name change as outlined above.